Everyone Has Reversals

Story Lessons, Big and Small (Warning: Spoilers!)

December 18, 2005

Stakes, Well Done and Rare

Yeah, you know you love puns.


The Bourne Identity
and The Bourne Supremacy are fine action films. They're lean, clean, and intense. But Identity has something going for it that Supremacy doesn't: real stakes.


In Identity, Matt Damon seems like a decent guy we more or less don't want assassinated by his own government. Fine. Life-or-death stakes for one poor, forgetful trained assassin. But when he hooks up with Franka Potente, the stakes are solidified. This cool, interesting, yet ordinary woman's life is now on the line too. And let's be clear: Franka is not a trained assassin. She certainly doesn't deserve to be shot at. And the film doesn't even give us a chance to feel that this maybe-couple's relationship is going to be in danger... we'll be happy if they make it out alive. Never has the resolution of a platonic-looking hug seemed so satisfying. (At least, I don't think... feel free to remind me if I'm forgetting great hugs in the history of film.)


And then, the franchise paints itself into a corner. Early in Supremacy, Franka's no longer, er, in danger. It's just Matt on the run again. All we've got is the life of this former assassin to worry about. Along with, I guess, his guilt and desire to become a real human being again. The problem is, every time Matt's on the run and dodging bullets for the sake of memory and redemption, he's putting the lives of innocent bystanders in danger. Because the Bourne character is such a blank canvas, it's hard to get emotionally attached to him. I don't exactly want him to die, and I do want some redemption for him... but in Supremacy, I don't think I can condone the death of even a single bystander for the sake of this particular guy. It just doesn't seem... right.


Won't somebody think of the children, etc.

6 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I agree, it's much more interesting to watch Bourne juggle both his mission to uncover his identity, and his much more ordinary, awkward, companion. The second movie is supposed to be more loosely based on a book, which doesn't suprise me considering "Bourne pushed down the gas pedal" is a lot more repetitive in print.

9:48 a.m.  
Blogger Julie said...

I agree, I was annoyed when Franka was no longer part of the Bourne equation. But do you think her absence makes this a revenge film rather than a survival tale? That they're banking on us having loved Franka so much the first time we'll sit through Will Hunting's shenanigans for the sake of avenging her? Oh yeah, and that little kid, whose parents he killed... He makes amends there, ish. Instead of Kill Bourne, a la Identity, is this really Kill Bill in Berlin?

2:57 p.m.  
Blogger driids said...

There's a third book as well, 'The Bourne Ultimatum'. After reading it some years ago, all I could think of was how much better it would have been as an action movie.
As for 'Supremacy', it did what I expected: things blew up, people got shot, cars were chased, there was intrigue, and they even had a bit of plot. I really didn't feel like ask it for anything more.

11:34 p.m.  
Blogger MaryAn Batchellor said...

Do we have a third film, "Bourne Ultimatum", to (ahem) look forward to? I'd like to write it. I think I'd just rip off the storyline from Gilligan's Island where Skipper keeps losing/regaining his memory by receiving periodic blows to the head. Or maybe the one where similar blows turn Gilligan's teeth into a radio. Yeah, Bourne shooting random bad guys while his teeth play Wagner's Ride of the Valkyries. I dunno. I'm undecided so I'll wait until they call me.

8:25 a.m.  
Blogger Jennica said...

Re: Supremacy as a revenge story. I know it was sort of packaged that way... but I always felt his desire for revenge was really a continuation of that desire to be left alone.

A true revenge thing could have added to the stakes for me. For instance, if I'd really been worried about this character's soul (such as it is). But I didn't. Am I alone?

Is it wrong to hope for souls in the world of "stuff getting blowed up"?

Iain-- totally agree about the having someone to talk to thing. Such a simple lesson, and so, so important.

8:52 p.m.  
Blogger Adam Renfro said...

Interesting post. You know, I read those books 15 years ago, and I can’t remember a thing about them. I guess if I can remember the movies in 15 years, then they will be better than the books.

Franka Potente MADE the movie for me. I was shocked she made such an early exit in Supremacy. I wish my exit would have been as early. I love the scene where he swipes the information off the palm pilot in 5 seconds. Right. Yeah. It’s taken me two years to program in one number on speed dial. (now 911 is *323, not sure it really saves time). And good point there, iain. The running girl was a good sounding board for the janitor savant.

Glad I found your site here, Jennica. Looks like I have about 6 months of catching up to do.

6:31 p.m.  

Post a Comment

<< Home