Everyone Has Reversals

Story Lessons, Big and Small (Warning: Spoilers!)

August 19, 2006

A New Spin on an Old Thread

Character arcs often feel familiar, making them predictable. You find yourself thinking, in the first twelve minutes: "Oh, I see--she's got to learn how to stand up for herself." And then the next eighty are spent waiting for that change.

Another option? New spins on old character arcs. Take
Rushmore: the coming-of-age story in reverse. Max is desperately trying to be older, wiser, more sophisticated than a fifteen year old. Which is why it's so satisfying when he happily dances with kite-flying Margaret Yang... it's time for the grown ups to be grown ups, and the kids to be kids.

Why don't we see more traditional character arcs flipped? Why couldn't we have the reverse of the "be yourself" arc? Or the flipside of the "loosen up a little" tale?


Let’s see the story in which a character must
stop trying to “seize the day” and instead, commit to a long-term plan. (I really believe this can be done.) Or a character who learns that the pursuit of love isn't necessarily worth sacrificing one’s own career, or family, or friends. (Meg Ryan in You’ve Got Mail, I’m talking to you--that store was in your family for generations! I think you could hold a grudge a little longer.)

On a related note, I would also like to see the story in which the protagonist believes they'
re dead but it turns out they’re actually--gasp!--alive.

7 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I think all creative people are better served by taking risks with their work. At least think about confronting cliches, instead of front loading your script with things you think agents, producers and studios are going to be able to sell easier. Selling is their job.

There are no marketing or business degrees on the wall of my apartment. There are holes I drilled in a home improvement project that never quite worked out. Ugly holes, but hey, at least I tried something new.

That said, cliches are great because some days, I just prefer not to think. That's why you need to keep blogging Jennica, to keep me from growing complacent.

5:03 p.m.  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm seeking for any information about XRUMER software.
Can you help me? Or give me a link to the official site of this autosubmitter.

Thank you!

4:21 p.m.  
Blogger Jennica said...

Hi Anonymous,

Welcome! I'm so glad you finally decided to de-lurk.

Why you decided to do so on a post several months old, I don't quite understand.

Can anyone out there help Anon with his Xrumer software question?

Or will someone at least congratulate me on my very first piece of blog spam?

12:13 a.m.  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

http://utairway.com/en/reg-Interfaith-95-46.html - Interfaith
Interfaith

6:08 a.m.  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

http://utairway.com/en/categ-Subscriptions-206.html - Subscriptions
Subscriptions

1:52 a.m.  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

http://utairway.com/en/categ-Salmon_and_Steelhead-370.html - Salmon and Steelhead
Salmon and Steelhead

3:21 a.m.  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

http://utairway.com/en/search-jacksonville_golf_travel.html - jacksonville golf travel
jacksonville golf travel

3:27 p.m.  

Post a Comment

<< Home