Everyone Has Reversals

Story Lessons, Big and Small (Warning: Spoilers!)

August 05, 2006

Testify!

Looking for a way to establish a lot about your character in very little time? See if you can't give them a speech in the first act. Like this one-- Hugh Grant's best man toast, early in Four Weddings and a Funeral:

"Ladies and gentlemen, I'm sorry to drag you from your desserts.

There are just one or two little things I feel I should say, as best man. This is only the second time l've been a best man. I hope I did OK that time. The couple in question are at least still talking to me.

Unfortunately, they're not actually talking to each other. The divorce came through a couple of months ago.

But l'm assured it had absolutely nothing to do with me. Paula knew Piers had slept with her sister before I mentioned it in the speech.

The fact that he'd slept with her mother came as a surprise, but I think was incidental to the nightmare of recrimination and violence that became their two-day marriage.

Anyway, enough of that. My job today is to talk about Angus. There are no skeletons in his cupboard. Or so I thought... I'll come on to that in a minute.

I would just like to say this. I am, as ever, in bewildered awe of anyone who makes this kind of commitment that Angus and Laura have made today. I know I couldn't do it and I think it's wonderful they can.

So, back to Angus and those sheep.

Ladies and gentlemen, if you'd raise your glasses-- the adorable couple."

Sure, it's the better part of a page of script. But it's working pretty darn hard. Look at what we learn about this character from this speech: we learn he's single, and likely to stay that way. He's funny. He's an eloquent speaker-- at least, when it comes to other people's love. He's self-depracating. He's both a romantic and a cynic. And we learn this story's going to be about love, but with some definite racy bits.

A speech could be a cheat in the wrong story, but if it fits (there's a wedding, a funeral, a presentation, an award, etc.) why not let your character speak for themselves?

4 Comments:

Blogger Patrick J. Rodio said...

I think if used properly, like in your example, that you're right. It reveals a lot about the character and is funny, too.

8:47 p.m.  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm a new reader and am really enjoying your archives, Jennica. Your dream cast of Charlize Theron & Vince Vaughn for the big comedy you're writing got me interested in what you might have to share with the rest of the class and I haven't been disappointed.

I visited Vancouver for the first time recently. Your climate, parks and pedestrian friendly streets put a spell on me, but I didn't see how anyone could make a living writing movies and live there. I'm glad you have proved me wrong.

Keep writing. I can't wait to read your script!

3:46 p.m.  
Blogger Jennica said...

Welcome, PJR-- the "if used properly" is pretty darn crucial here. I'm sure eventually I'll post a not-used-properly example...

Welcome & thanks, Joe! Yes, Vancouver has a strange allure. People from other places (myself included) come here and just... stick.

9:37 a.m.  
Blogger deepstructure said...

hi jennica, just found your blog via scott the reader's and am enjoying it.

gotta agree with the beauty of vancouver. we were up there visiting the set of fantastic four and got to see the city for five days. wonderful.

as for this speech, it's a great one and definitely works to entertain as well as inform. however, you picked a pretty high bar to aim for! there's enough little reversals in here to make william goldman proud.

3:55 p.m.  

Post a Comment

<< Home