Everyone Has Reversals

Story Lessons, Big and Small (Warning: Spoilers!)

October 29, 2006

Brothers Are the New Lovers

Saw House of Wax recently. Yes, I know, more commentary on "meh" horror movies... but come on, people, it's almost Halloween. What's a grown woman who loves chills, thrills, and candy to do?

I think Wax did some interesting things. Even beyond the casting of Paris Hilton, which was brilliant, given that she already kind of looks like she's melting.

Wax follows, as its two leads-who-might-stand-a-chance, a brother and sister. Instead of sexual tension and a hoped-for kiss, we get two people with familial tension and a whole lot of history and baggage. Which, call me crazy, can actually be more compelling tension than the obvious sexual kind.

Sibling relationships are rich territory, full of complex behaviours and patterns that begin in childhood and evolve in bizarre and interesting ways through adolescence and into adulthood. More of us should spend more time with siblings.

(Miss you, bro!)

5 Comments:

Blogger m said...

My favourite brother/sister movie is You Can Count on Me. It is so rich and layered, with a heavy dose of baggage.

I think it is important to remember that our characters come from families, have/had parents, siblings, cousins, etc. It's easy to write them as if they were produced in a vaccuum, but I think it definitely shows on the screen/page.

I just watched Fast Times at Ridgemont High for the first time last night and there was a great sister/brother moment. I won't spoil it because I know you haven't yet seen it, Jennica. It's small, but big at the same time. Very well played.

2:14 p.m.  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

More food for creative thought, Jennica. I doff my hat to you, as always.

I was really hoping to get your thoughts on C.H.U.D. before Halloween, though. Perhaps a column on monster movies?

12:25 a.m.  
Blogger Dionne said...

Geeky as it is, I think one of my favourite brother/sister relationships on film (and TV) were Simon and River Tam. We got a lot of the sacrifice in the film - Simon sacrificing his happiness and safety for her; River willing to risk her life for him - but I also loved the brief snippets of siblingness (I can make up words if I want) that we got in the TV series. River calling him a boob. River giving him berries and tricking him into thinking they were poisonous. Simon calling her a brat. They were fun.

5:03 p.m.  
Blogger Averyslave said...

Brother and sisters in horror worked (mostly) in Jeepers Creepers, too. Unfortunately, the movie bailed out on them. I mean... Jeepers Creepers?

9:17 p.m.  
Blogger Jennica said...

Didn't mean to neglect these very fine comments-- just been away for ten days. Great brother & sister examples all! Definitely some fantastic and complicated bonds...

7:32 p.m.  

Post a Comment

<< Home