Everyone Has Reversals

Story Lessons, Big and Small (Warning: Spoilers!)

January 20, 2007

Things That Make You Go "Meh"

Last year, when I saw the killer-on-a-plane movie Red Eye, I sort of enjoyed it. The note I made for myself for future blogging was that it was refreshing. It isn't one of those "there's a killer torturing our hero and we don't understand his plan until the third act" kind of movies. Its plot is simple. We know what creepy-pretty Cillian wants right up front -- he needs Rachel to make a phone call to put a politician in the right room at the hotel where she works, so his team of fellow mercenaries will be better able to assassinate the man. As collateral, Cillian's got a site trained on Rachel's dad. It's clear and the stakes are plenty high. No mystery is required. It doesn't always have to be a mystery!

I thought this was a reasonably blogable point despite the fact that the movie didn't exactly wow me, and I admittedly haven't thought of it much since.


Then this week I saw this post by friend and former student Averyslave at Trekking the Uncanny Valley.


Damn. He's so right. Well done, Grasshopper.

Labels: ,

2 Comments:

Blogger Averyslave said...

Why thank you, sensei.

And what's with bashing poor Dr. Phil in there? Sure, he deserves the occasional dig, but he took it worse than Cillian, by my count.

2:54 p.m.  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

if you'd like to read an early draft of Red Eye, let me know, it is a bit different... I got it because I loved the idea of ramped up thriller in a small confined area

7:34 p.m.  

Post a Comment

<< Home