Everyone Has Reversals

Story Lessons, Big and Small (Warning: Spoilers!)

February 07, 2007

Characters Should Act Human

Assuming they're, you know, human.

Another lesson from Jurassic Park Numero Trois: the minute humans don't act the way human beings should, you lose your cred. Case in point? The moment William H. Macy and Tea Leoni first encounter real-life dinosaurs, they do not catch their breath. They do not scream, or back away in awe. They do not say "Holy Mary, Mother of God." Instead, they ignore the dinosaurs and focus on calling out for their missing son.


I understand: their son is missing. That's awful. Unfathomable. But I do not believe that any human being could be so focused that they wouldn't have that "holy shit" moment.


Dinosaurs
, people! Let's not forget that that's still a wild thing for human beings to see, even if they are three movies into the franchise.


Sheesh, the Marines in Aliens were less blas
é!

Labels:

3 Comments:

Blogger Chris Parr (ukscriptwriter) said...

Feh!

Dinosaurs are like little puppies, all you have to do is ca... WHOA HOLY SHIT!

Oh, it's just my daughter with a mask. Now I get your point.

C

Okay, I admit it, I've got nothing. I do funny rather poorly :)

2:06 p.m.  
Blogger Jennica said...

You know, Chris, you just made me realize... I could even imagine a kid being a bit blase on first laying eyes on a dinosaur. But we adults know what's scary, and should behave accordingly!

7:20 a.m.  
Blogger Patrick J. Rodio said...

You're right, but this was the least of JP3's problemos.

On a side note, I doubt the aliens in Aliens were the 1st those marines ever saw.

9:16 p.m.  

Post a Comment

<< Home